Thursday, May 8, 2008

restoring order and law


Ever since I got back from NYC I've sunk into some kind of depression (and utter chaos) that can only be cured by watching a lot of Law & Order. Lucky for me that's pretty much all they give on TV. I'm not as big a fan of the original Law & Order. But I will watch hours and hours of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit as well as Law & Order: Criminal Intent, especially now that they brought back Chris Noth as Det. Mike Logan. Um . . . yeah, he was on the original Law & Order back in like 1990 for like five years before being Mr. Big on Sex and the City.

So, needless to say, the cosi petite moment of my day was when my friend who lives on the Upper West Side called me at work in excitement. "I just saw Munch!" As in Richard Belzer from Law & Order: SVU. "Guess where I saw him?" By now, I've realized there is only one place where you can find Law & Order actors: Nice Matin on West 79th and Amsterdam. That's where we saw Paul Sorvino. (And she's seen Marishka Hagarty there too.) Nice Matin is like the Upper West Side hang-out. Like an upscale diner with quirky staff and famous patrons - sorta like Rudy's but without the punk edge.

I've had one question on my mind for almost 20 years: why do they call it Law & Order? Shouldn't it be Order and Law? I mean the detectives investigate the crimes in the first half of the show and then the district attorneys prosecute the offenders at the end. It's been bugging me for a while. Or is it that the cops carry out the law by arresting perps and then the prosecutors enforce order? It's completely trivial a question, but it still leaves me curious.

No comments: